Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Maybe Someday 4/8/2014

Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover

At twenty-two years old, aspiring musician Sydney Blake has a great life: She’s in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her good friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers Hunter cheating on her with Tori—and she is left trying to decide what to do next.

Sydney becomes captivated by her mysterious neighbor, Ridge Lawson. She can’t take her eyes off him or stop listening to the daily guitar playing he does out on his balcony. She can feel the harmony and vibrations in his music. And there’s something about Sydney that Ridge can’t ignore, either: He seems to have finally found his muse. When their inevitable encounter happens, they soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one…


So I had no idea where this book was going when I first started it. Colleen Hoover has never really steered me wrong, I mean, we share this common love for The Avett Brothers, how could she? 
I'm glad I went into this book with neutral expectations. In no ways did I think it was going to be a bad book but I wasn't prepared for how much I was truly going to love it. 

5 bubbles, of course!

This book has so many different aspects that I don't think a lot of authors could pull off. 

Here be spoilers! 

We meet Ridge, this musician and eventually friend, that helps get Sydney back on her feet when her world comes crashing down on her. Through this time, we also learn that Ridge is deaf. When Ridge's disability is first brought up in the book, I had no idea how Colleen Hoover was going to effectively connect us with him. I thought this was going to be near impossible since some communication is needed between Sydney and Ridge. She gave us the communication between characters, it's just slightly different than what we are used to in the New Adult world. Don't get me wrong, there were times when I was frustrated with the lack of verbal communication but it really added to the story. 

Next we have a love triangle. I have mixed emotions about love triangles. I feel that they are usually hyped up and over played or someone is always made out to be the bad guy in them. In this love triangle, no one is made out to be the bad guy and I honestly felt sorry for everyone involved. I'm glad the story folded out this way because there was not a lot of petty, sad drama involved in it and it was actually understandable and slightly realistic. 

Now lets get to Sydney. I really did like Sydeny's character overall. There were times where I wish she would just let everything be and remove herself from certain situations but I also understand why she didn't. I never felt that she was unjustifiably whiney. I really hate that in main characters, so for this, I am grateful. I like the fact that her ex boyfriend and friend weren't a huge part of the story and the way she handled all of it was a bonus anyway. 

And it other great news, this was a HEA and there was no cliffhanger. 

Would I read this again? Of course.
Do I recommend this to others? Yes! Yes! Yes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment