Thursday, April 3, 2014

Bad For You 4/3/2014

Bad for You by Abbi Glines

Addiction was something Krit Corbin accepted as part of his nature a long time ago. He decided to embrace it and flip his finger at the rules. Women had always been the number one thing on his list of addictions. He couldn’t get enough. Being the lead singer in a rock band had only made access to his favorite addiction that much easier.

Being alone was the only thing Blythe Denton understood. The small town minister’s family that raised her hadn’t accepted her as their own. The minister’s wife had always made sure Blythe understood just how unworthy she was of love. When Blythe is sent away to college and given a chance to finally be free of living as an unwanted burden, she looks forward to having peace in her life. Being alone isn’t something that bothers her. She escapes reality in the stories she writes.


Well there goes my money. To think I had hope because Misbehaving was actually bearable. 

I'm kind of upset about the time I wasted on this book but at the same time I got a few good laughs out of it. I'm not sure if it was things I was supposed to be laughing out but oh well, right?

Spoiler Alert! 

Oh my god, how I hate Blythe. She puts Bella Swan and Anastasia Steele's straight up ignorance to shame. How can one character be so naive and stupid? I get it, she lived in a sheltered home her whole life and abuse played a role in her development but I really don't think anyone is that stupid. Speaking of abuse, why did we briefly cover some scene where Blythe is obviously molested and it's never addressed again? Isn't molestation a pretty traumatic event? If you want to add some depth to your novel, and you decide to go this route, don't make it some nonchalant topic that is discussed in one paragraph and then move on. 

Next we have Krit. We have met Krit in past novels. We know what he is like, we know he is a total douche towards women and that he is probably suffering from sex addiction. He is literally just like almost every other male character in the Sea Breeze series. Original, amirite? Now rest easy ladies, he eventually changes for Blythe because of his deep love and addiction for her. Swoooooon. Man, if this story doesn't give you hope that you can change that one guy down the street that you are totally in love with and possibly close to stalking, I don't know what will. 

I may be way off with this idea but as I was reading this book, I felt like we were dealing with huge daddy issues. I felt that Krit was acting like a daddy figure in Blythe's life and that Blythe was looking for just someone, anyone, to love her since her own dad didn't. I may be reading into this too much and those few psych classes I took a couple years ago could be influencing me, but I just felt this huge ick factor with the Krit and Blythe's relationship. 

And the sex scenes! Oh my god. No one talks like that! Well, maybe some people do but is it really fantasy material? The adjectives used in these scenes were cringe worthy. If you or anyone you know, tastes like sunshine, please get medical attention right away because chances are, you need it!

Overall, I give this book a giant one bubble. I hated it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment