Friday, May 9, 2014

Coming Home 5/9/2014


Coming Home by Priscilla Glenn


Leah Marino hasn’t been on a date in two years. After discovering the man she loved had manipulated and deceived her, she refuses to even entertain the idea of a relationship. Instead, she focuses her attention on taking care of her family, a role she’s assumed since the death of her mother and the one place she knows her kindness won't be taken advantage of again.

When a nostalgic trip back to her childhood home results in a chance encounter with Danny DeLuca, a smart-mouthed mechanic who’s as attractive as he is mysterious, Leah's carefully cultivated walls begin to crumble. She finds herself unexpectedly drawn to Danny, despite his unreliable behavior and mixed signals. 

But Danny has a secret...



5 HUGE bubbles! 
 Oh my god, I loved this book. It was everything I look for in simple, light, sweet stories. I could go on and on and on about all the amazing things this book has to offer but I'm only going to list a few. 
  • No "alpha" male
  • Realistic conflicts
  • Wonderful character build up
As I list these things, you are probably thinking about how this is such a short list and obviously simple things to love about this book but again, I feel like these are hard things to find in a lot of the new young adult books coming out and it was so refreshing to read about characters that actually had an emotional relationship to build on, there was no petty jealousy, rage, or crazy over controlling characters that we are supposed to swoon over. I will now put this small rant to rage and continue with the review.

Leah and Danny are our two main characters and I really liked almost everything about both of these characters. They were realistically written and introduced in a wonderful way. I feel that the relationship was built up perfectly and written in a wonderful way. They were not both immediately drawn to each other and Leah had to actually work to get to know Danny. There was no insta-love and I genuinely enjoyed reading about the relationship between Danny and Leah from when they first met and how they went about dating and learning about each other.

Throughout this story, we are all very aware that Danny has a secret and from the blurb alone, we also know it could be one that ruins the relationship before it can even start. The reason I loved this part of the story was because it was a secret that could actually affect you, me, or the random person next door. It was a secret based solely on an accident and it something that happens more often than not. At first, I thought this story was going to be slightly predictable from the secret alone, and this was before I even knew what it was. Boy, was I wrong!

I'm glad this story was not predictable and I'm glad I'm being somewhat vague with this one review because I refuse to give away anything. I loved this story, and it's as simple as that. Happy readings!


No comments:

Post a Comment