Monday, February 24, 2014

Documentary 2/24/2014

Documentary by A.J. Sand

Dylan Carroll, an ambitious college student filmmaker still reeling from the death of her brother, may have just stumbled onto the opportunity of a lifetime.

Musician Kai White is in the middle of a public relations nightmare, and he may be keeping a secret that could turn things around. His manager/publicist wants to create a web series aimed at cleaning up his image. There’s also a promising offer at stake if Dylan can abide by the rule of staying strictly professional, and if she can figure out what Kai is hiding.

But Kai and Dylan already have an undeniable connection, and when they are together, they discover that rules are pretty easy to break. It's battling your own demons that's much, much harder.

Oh how this book took me by complete surprise. One day I’m just browsing amazon and Documentary happens to shows up. I think it looks pretty interesting, so I decide to try it out. When I first read it, there were not many reviews posted about it so I was initially skeptical, especially because the book is pretty long and boy, am I so glad I gave this book a chance!

Dylan and Kai happen to be our two main characters and I love absolutely everything about their story. I love the way they meet, I love the way their relationship starts and I enjoyed reading about all the problems they were faced with. I felt that there was enough angst and drama to keep it interesting but it was still a fun, light read.

Dylan is the main female in this book and I can’t even explain how wonderful it was it read a new adult book that did not feature some innocent virgin who was also painfully oblivious to her natural good looks. A.J. Sand, I want to thank you for this. Also, no insta-love! Yay!

Kai was a character that you really grew to like. I loved the fact that he wasn’t some bad boy that completely changes when the right girl comes along, blah, blah. He was a character that had issues, just like the rest of them and he had been working on change before Dylan came into his life. His issues were very personal though, and once you learn about all of them, very understandable.

There were so many other characters introduced in this book so that you aren’t just always reading about Kai and Dylan, but the other characters did not take away from their story. I’m specifically talking about Wes here but I’ll get to his story another time. I personally thought the issues that Dylan and Kai faced were pretty realistic for fiction and because of this, as a reader, you are able to connect with it more.  I should also add that this book had some very humorous parts. They were small lines that you could easily skip over if you were reading too fast or didn’t understand the reference but they were there and they were hilarious.

This book does lightly cover the topic of sexual abuse, I decided to not put a trigger warning in this review because it’s not the main characters abuse that you are reading about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment